Archive for July, 2009

h1

Mindless Piecing

July 31, 2009

IMG_4528

I’ve been doing some mindless piecing with scraps from the stash!

One of the neat things about posting a photo is that mistakes that I didn’t see on the design wall pop out at me in the photo. Can you find the two mistakes?

I hope that you have a quilty day!!

h1

Dressed for Dinner; The End is Near

July 23, 2009

The quilt top is finished!! Yeah!!

IMG_4526

Now it goes into the pile of tops to be quilted. It may just get bumped up in the line so that it will be done for fall…

Related Posts:

Dressed for Dinner: Progress

Dressed for Dinner: Coming Along

h1

Butterflies

July 21, 2009

Today I’m working on one of Debra’s quilts for her Etsy shop. Libby over at The Quilted Craftsman pieced it. Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns calls the pattern Austin. I’m wondering if there might be another name for it though. It is pieced in lovely colors with a cream background and dark blue floral cornerstones and border.

IMG_4524

Of course it has lovely embroidered patches in the center of each block.

IMG_4523

I am quilting leaves and flowers…

IMG_4520

and a few butterflies on it.

IMG_4522

I hope that you have a great day doing something you love to do.

h1

Duvet

July 9, 2009

IMG_4495

My customers are always bringing me interesting projects. T brought me this duvet and asked me to add batting to it and quilt it. So that is what I’m doing.

I ripped out the stitched edges of the duvet, loaded it on the quilting table with the batting and stitched it following the pattern printed on the fabric. All I have left to do is finish up the binding.

I think that this will work much better for T than the duvet has.

h1

After O’Keeffe

July 7, 2009

IMG_4492

This is a wall hanging that I made in 2000. As the name implies it is copied from a painting by Georgia O’Keeffe, Church Steeple.

I used a frayed edge appliqué technique for it. All of the edges have been stitched down with a very small straight stitch and the edges have been deliberately frayed.

IMG_4492-1I know that I learned about the technique from a book that I borrowed from the library. But I cannot remember the name or the author and neither a library search nor an internet search has turned it up. Don’t you hate it when that happens?!!

Anyway, I believe that this quilt was the first quilt that I experimented with using washable glue for holding the pieces in place for sewing. The layers are not fused in place, only glued and then the glue was washed out in the first wash. The washing also helped to fray the edges.

It is fun looking back at old work and remembering the techniques I was experimenting with at the time.

h1

Fixing an Oops!

July 5, 2009

Sometimes I just don’t notice things that I should notice.

IMG_4481

Like how I used the same fabric for the squirrel’s background and for one of the bordering squares. It wasn’t until I got it all put together that I realized that I didn’t like it. That square needed to be a darker value.

IMG_4482

But not a problem… I ripped that offending square right out…

IMG_4484

Dabbed a line of Elmer’s Glue along the seam allowances… (I love Elmer’s Glue. It’s been a part of my life for probably 40 years!)

IMG_4486 With the new square glued in place I was able to sew it in place accurately. Much better!!

IMG_4488

h1

Happy 4th of July!

July 4, 2009

The 4th of July is one of my very favorite holidays. I love the concerts in the park, the parades and, of course, the fireworks!

fireworks_1_bg_070404

To all of my friends in the USA  I wish you a wonderful, patriotic day!

h1

Quilt Studio Workshop: Storage

July 1, 2009

Quilt Studio is calling for posts on storage this month. I have a couple of ideas that have worked well in my studio to share with you. The first is a new fabric storage system and the second is a book shelf with a cutting/ironing table on top.

IMG_4472

Last Christmas my husband gave me these wonderful drawers for my fabric. He got them at The Container Store. They are clear plastic sweater drawers and have dividers inside. So I just fold the fabric up to fit inside the dividers.

IMG_4473

I like to keep my fabric organized by color to make finding what I need quicker. I use Joan Wolfrom’s 3-in-1 color tool to help with that. I separated all of the cards and slid one card into each divider at the front of the drawer. That way I can quickly look across the fronts of the drawers and find where the color I want *should* be. It takes a bit of discipline to keep the fabrics in their correct spots. But when it is all working right it makes finding the perfect fabric a breeze. And if I don’t have the right color, I take the card with me to the LQS to find it.

IMG_4474

There is one problem with the drawers I have found. When I have one of the top drawers open it tends to want to tip forward from the weight of the drawer. This isn’t a problem with any of the lower drawers as they have the weight of the upper drawers on them to keep them in place. I just need to add weight to the top of the series of drawers to keep them stable. A counter top would be nice.

The second storage item I have to share is a book shelf that I have added a cutting/ironing table to the top. I posted about this table before but my dad helped me to alter it again to make it even more useful

IMG_4476

As you can see the base is bookshelves, probably purchased at Target. To the top we added two pieces of plywood covered with batting and flannel. Between the two pieces of plywood are 1/2” spacers so there is a little slot to slide the cutting mat for storage.

IMG_4477

And Viola! The cutting table becomes an ironing table.

IMG_4480

The top easily unscrews so I can recover it when the flannel gets… dirty.

Thanks for reading!