JQC 2006 AugustAugust 25, 2006
It is time for the Journal Quilt Challenge reveals again. I’ve seen some very nice reveals on other blogs. Use the link in my sidebar if you’d like to see them too.
I stuck with my theme of Victorian homes this month but focused in closer to a window and two gables hoping to move a little closer to an abstract representation. The colors are also a little unusual. I used a complimentary color scheme; red-orange and blue-green.
I tried out a new technique with this piece. I cut out all of the pieces and glued them to each other with Aleene’s Tacky Glue. I guess it is similar to how layers are fused together, except I really don’t like to work with hot sticky stuff so I avoid fusing.
The edges were still somewhat loose as the glue didn’t contact all of the edges as well as fusing would. So I laid a piece of tulle, or netting over the top before quilting. The netting held everything down so I could quilt easily over it all, but it didn’t noticeably change the look of the fabrics. You can barely see the netting over the green areas.
I missed making a July journal because I was on vacation. But I hope to finish out the year with one every month. I have found the exercise very good as it provides a chance to experiment with different ideas, techniques and processes.