Old Maid’s PuzzleAugust 11, 2006
The good thing about having my current projects posted in the sidebar of my blog is that it keeps me accountable. I feel like I have to explain why I haven’t worked on “Project X” in 6 weeks! I’ve been feeling that way about Old Maid’s Puzzle. So I am here today to report that I have worked on it this week.
The first thing I decided was that it needed to be larger. I thought if I am going to go to the trouble to make it, it may as well be BIG! So I enlarged it from about 16″ x 22″ to about 24″ X 36″. That still isn’t that big so it may well get enlarged again as I go along.
I want to do some little details in this in relief so I decided to work with the hat first. The first thing I tried for the hat was some fabric embroidered with machine stitching for the texture. OK, but, ho-hum, pretty boring.
Next I tried some raffia in a technique I guess you could call macreme. It is neat and I like the relief effect it produces but it has a little too much rough texture for what I want. I see her hat as a little more refined, smooth, shiny.
Next I tried this stuff called Wonder Wood. It is little slivers of wood, about 12″ long and about 1/32″ wide. It is the smooth look that I wanted but it is next to impossible to knot. It is very brittle and keeps breaking. I may come back to it again, but for now I am going to keep looking.
Next I tried just some good ol’ embroidery floss. It knots nicely; doesn’t break. It gives a nice smooth texture while adding a little bit of relief. And I can vary the color by mixing in different shades. I don’t know, the jury is still out on this one. I will have to work with it a little more. But it looks like it has potential.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have a “quilty” weekend!